Melchizedek, the theology of beauty, a new sacred space
“The art of the icon. The Theology of Beauty ”is a book of one of the best modern Orthodox thinkers – the Frenchman Pavel Evdokimov. The book is much wider than its title: the philosophy of Beauty and art, the philosophy of worship, authentic Orthodox witness in the modern world.
The “Orthodoxy” of the French theologian Pavel Evdokimov is the classic book of the Paris School of Theology. The book is an introduction to Orthodox theology, a synthesis of modern Orthodox thought: the history of Orthodoxy, the doctrine of man, the Church, worship, and The End Times.
A collection of selected articles by priest Sergius Bulgakov, one of the pillars of the Russian religious renaissance, one of the main Orthodox theologians and philosophers of the 20th century, one of the founders of the “Paris school of theology”.
“Lord's Holidays” is a book of the outstanding modern theologian Metropolitan Hierotheus (Vlachos). This is not just a book about church holidays: it is theology; the author parses the Christological doctrine that the Church invested in her holidays.
Added a few audio books by Dickens:
– Chesterton wrote about Hard Times in his book Charles Dickens: Hard Times strikes us with almost unexpected severity. I would greatly exaggerate if I called Dickens a socialist. The essence and originality of his Today can be expressed as follows: when everyone thought that liberalism was inseparable from individualism, he ardently defended liberalism and ardently rejected individualism. Or so: he saw that a mysterious creature by the name of a person is equally and deeply indifferent to both extreme socialism and extreme individualism. ”
– "Posthumous Notes of the Pickwick Club." Chesterton about the novel: “Both the eternal joy of the popular faith and the eternal laughter of the popular book have disappeared in our days. Dickens is close to the popular faith – the deepest and most reliable of faiths: he professes eternal joy, he believes in creatures incorruptible, like Peck or Pan, whose love of life cannot be extinguished by innumerable millennia. ”
“Our Common Friend” is a late novel by Dickens with a superbly constructed plot and wonderful humor. Chesterton believed that in this novel, Dickens largely returned to his early work, without losing, however, the achievements of the later.
“The Life and Adventures of Nicholas Nickleby” is Dickens' early book, where his main ideas unfold: the monstrous power of money, selfishness and cruelty, but, of course, crazy joy and freedom.
For the 10th anniversary of the Tradition, they made the top 10 lectures we produced. Meanwhile, the new season of our lecture hall has begun:
– A new video of the project “Best Books on Faith”: the best books on the history of the Russian Orthodox Church in the 20th century according to the historian Sergei Firsov.
– The biblical scholar Aleksey Somov is about the mysterious Melchizedek and the Today of the author of Hebrews on the person of Christ.
– The biblical scholar Vladimir Strelov talks about the main ideas of the Book of Acts: the church community, life in the Spirit, and testimony of Christ.
– A new lecture by priest Alexei Agapov from the series “Psalmotherapy”.
Jacob's Variegated Rods is an important book for the philosophical evolution of Vladimir Martynov, an interesting contemporary composer and thinker. This is the first book where he does not write about music, the first where he uses the "auto-archaeological" method – combining purely philosophical reasoning with autobiographical sketches. The main theme of Jacob’s Motley Rods is the relationship between the visual and the literary. Orthodox Russia was a culture of visual primacy: Moscow was an icon of Heavenly Jerusalem, the Moscow Kremlin, Moscow churches were elements of this icon. In the Petersburg period, the triumph of the literary comes: at the same time, the flourishing of Russian literature leads to the fading of the visual, the disfigurement of Russian visuality. They cease to create "real" icons – they paint picturesque fakes of icons; stop building "real" temples; The Cathedral of Christ the Savior is not “Orthodox”, but “imperial”; during the reign of Nicholas I, the Moscow Kremlin was rebuilt, destroying its true appearance, its “meaning”. The Soviet destruction of churches, the “general reconstruction of Moscow” is only the continuation of this process, which reaches its peak in post-Soviet Russia in Tsereteli-Glazunov, absolute visual wretchedness. However, Martynov claims that the time of Russian literature has ended, while discussing cultural shifts, generations, etc. Thus, in the present tense, the chance of a new visuality, a new sacred space looms.
The new sacred space is the main thing for Martynov. "Death of God", New time, atheism, etc. destroyed the old sacred space. But the New Time is over, which means we have a chance for a new sacred space. Martynov is a unique figure: his philosophy is a reflection on his music, and his music is the embodiment of his philosophical ideas. Here are some of his musical creations:
“The sacred space in which man originally lived was destroyed by the beginning of the 20th century, as Nietzsche announced in the famous words“ God is dead, ”and now the modern world is like the ruins of Jerusalem, mourned by the prophet Jeremiah. The old sacred space of the Gregorian choral still seems to exist in our world, but it has lost its former vitality. The Litany of the Theotokos represents an attempt to create a new sacred space, which is constructed from what we still have at hand, namely from the fragments and fragments of the old sacred space of the Gregorian choral. Litany, or petition, has one single purpose – the salvation of the soul. "
“Minimalism is an appeal“ not to the wisdom of man, but to the power of God, ”and the Passionslieder is nothing more than a minimalist attempt to become ignorant of nothing but Jesus Christ, and yet crucified.”
– Stabat Mater / Requiem (Temenos): “We should not forget that genuine involvement in the suffering of the Mother, who sees the mortal torment of Her Son, turns into a promise of the Son Himself to the robber crucified with Him:“ Now you will be with me in paradise. ” It is in this descent and convergence into eternity that the rhythmic mystery of the Stabat Mater lies. (…) The fact that the text Missae Pro Defunctis, starting with the words Requiem Aeternam, is now perceived as an occasion for writing mournful music, is only one of the many consequences of the global deformation of the sacred space generated by the Enlightenment. Almost all the great musicians of the New Age were in his power, not excluding Mozart. And at the same time, the initial goal of Missae Pro Defunctis is not to cultivate the mournful feelings within themselves, naturally arising at the moment of farewell to the departed, but in prayer that God would give the deceased eternal peace and eternal light. However, this eternal peace and eternal light is that which is almost unknown to man, immersed in the darkness of the brilliant Enlightenment. "
“Why are Christianity and patriarchy incompatible?” Dina Korolek. “A patriarchal marriage is violent, Christian marriage is voluntary; patriarchal marriage is required; Christian marriage is optional; the patriarchal family is built into the community, does not exist outside it, the family according to Paul is the wife, husband and Christ immediately above them. ”
"Face to fear." Natalya Loseva. “If you get cancer. If you are told that the prognosis is bad … Pray for everyone. God is very near in this disease. "
"How to end a game of shooting balls at balls." Julia Kulakova. “Perhaps it’s easier for those parents who have been deciding everything since childhood with the sweep of the magic belt. Up – and the tigers sat at my feet. And before that there was no Internet. ”
"John Carter. The artist who painted with his mouth. " Denis Semenov. “From childhood, he had a living mind, but this was manifested more in mischief than in success in school. However, he had one addiction – drawing. "
“Who blew our conscience. Alexey Kortnev vs Archpriest Igor Fomin. " How is the moral code of the builder of communism different from the ten commandments?
"Decide on happiness." Elizaveta Trofimova. By the decade of “Tradition”, we decided to collect the stories of our wards and tell how they live now. Arina Chaban is a schoolgirl from a small town of Khmelnitsky, who underwent surgery to correct scoliosis two years ago.
"The Assumption of the Mother of God: a fairy tale that has become theology." Nun Elisaveta (Senchukova). “The tradition of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary took several centuries and, despite its external“ fabulousness ”, apocryphal, was formed precisely on the basis of theology.”
“Andrei Platonov: a holy fool in literature” – a lecture by Yanina Soldatkina.
Subscribe to the Predaniya.ru channel on Telegram so as not to miss interesting news and articles!
Join us on the Yandex.Zen channel!